- Join VAHAMSEA
- Summer Conference
- Professional Development
- Board of Nursing
- Photo Gallery
VIRGINIA HEALTH AND MEDICAL SCIENCES EDUCATORS ASSOCIATION
DIVISION OF VIRGINIA ASSOCIATION FOR CAREER AND TECHNICAL EDUCATION
Article I. Name
The name of this organization shall be the Virginia Health and Medical Sciences Educators Association and may be referred to as VAHAMSEA. There shall be seven regions that correspond to the Virginia Public Schools Divisions Superintendent Regions. They are as follows: Region I - Central; Region II - Tidewater; Region III - Northeast; Region IV - North; Region V - Northwest; Region VI - West; Region VII - Southwest. The VAHAMSEA is a division of the Virginia Association for Career and Technical Education (VACTE).
Article II. Purpose and Objectives
Section 1. The purpose of VAHAMSEA shall be to provide a nonprofit organization for health occupations educators in Virginia to promote the development and advancement of health occupations education, to encourage the growth and development of those engaged in the field, and to support the programs and objectives of the Virginia Association for Career and Technical Education and the Association for Career and Technical Education..
Section 2. The objectives of this Association shall be to:
A. Establish and maintain leadership in health occupations education in Virginia
B. Provide the opportunity for exchange of ideas and materials and sharing of experiences to strengthen health occupations programs.
C. Consider local, state, and national needs and problems as a basis for establishing goals for health occupations education.
D. Encourage members to develop a cooperative working relationship between health occupations educators and other agencies, organizations, and institutions
E. Act as a vehicle for dissemination of information to its members regarding legislation and other issues, which affect health occupations educators
F. Act as the voice of health occupations educators
G. Maintain a web site for the dissemination of VHOEA and related information for health occupations educators;
H. Promote and support the Virginia Health Occupations Students of America
I. Encourage professional growth among health occupations educators
J. Encourage excellence in teaching in health occupations education programs
K. Promote the development and expansion of quality health occupations programs
L. Encourage membership and participation in programs of the Virginia Association for Career and Technical Education and Association for Career and Technical Education.
Article III. Membership and Dues
Section 1. Membership
A. Active membership shall be open to any individual who has been or is engaged in instruction, supervision, coordination, counseling or administration in the field of health occupations education.
Section 2. Dues
A. There shall be three options for payment of dues for active members:
1) Current VAHAMSEA dues plus current dues to Association for Career and Technical Education and the Virginia Association for Career and Technical Education
2) Current VAHAMSEA dues plus the current dues of the Virginia Association for Career and Technical Education
3) Current VAHAMSEA dues
B. Individuals retired from instruction, supervision, coordination, counseling, or administration in the field of health occupations education may also maintain current membership by payment of dues by option one, two, or three
Section 3. Voting
A. To be eligible for voting individuals must be a member of VAHAMSEA.
Section 4. Membership Year
A. The membership year shall be for twelve months, beginning with the payment of dues the first day of August and ending the last day of July the following year.
B. Members not renewing their membership by the last day of July will have a grace period of sixty (60) days before their name is removed from the membership roster.
Article IV. Officers, Directors, and Elections
Section 1: The officers of this Association shall be a president, president-elect, secretary, and treasurer.
Section 2: Section 2. There shall be seven (7) Directors, one from each Region who shall be Regional Directors.
Section 3. Elections:
A. The president-elect shall be elected at the annual meeting in the EVEN years and shall automatically become president upon completion of the term as president elect.
B. The secretary and treasurer shall be elected at the annual meeting in the ODD years.
C. The Directors shall be elected by the Health Occupations Educators in each of the seven (7) regions at the Regional Spring meeting as follows:
1) from Regions 1, 3, 5, and 7 in EVEN years
2) from Regions 2, 4, 6 in the ODD years
D. The Regions shall elect at their spring meeting a candidate for the offices of President-elect in the EVEN years and the secretary and treasurer in the ODD years. This candidate’s name will be submitted to the Nominating Committee to be placed on the ballot at the annual meeting. The candidate will be voted on by the membership at that time.
E. Election of president, president-elect, secretary, and treasurer shall be by ballot with a plurality vote necessary for election.
F. In the event that the annual meeting cannot be held, the Executive Board shall conduct an election by mail or e-mail.
Section 4. Term of office
The term of office for all officers and directors shall be for two years or until their successors are elected. The term of office shall begin at the close of the annual meting of the Association.
Section 5. Vacancy of Office
A. A vacancy in the office of president shall be filled by the president-elect.
B. In the event of a vacancy in the office of president-elect, the vacancy shall be filled as follows:
1) Vacancy occurring in the first 18 months of the term -- the Executive Board shall prepare a slate of at least two (2) qualified candidates, to be mailed to the general membership for voting. The ballot shall be returned to the president who shall declare the election of the candidate receiving a plurality vote.
2) Vacancy occurring in the last six months of the term shall be filled by appointment by the Executive Board of an individual to serve the unexpired term.
C. A vacancy in the office of secretary, treasurer, or a director shall be filled by appointment by the Executive Board of an individual to serve the unexpired term.
Article V. Duties of Officers
Section 1. The officers of the Association shall perform the duties prescribed for them in the parliamentary authority adopted by the Association and such duties as are specified in these operating policies
Section 2. The President shall:
A. Preside at all meetings of the Association and the Executive Board.
B. Appoint the chairman of all standing committees with the exception of the Professional Development/Conference Planning Committee.
C. Represent VAHAMSEA at the annual Association for Career and Technical Education meeting and at meetings of related organizations.
D. Appoint a Web Master and ensure the accuracy of content. (Content accuracy may be delegated.)
E. Authorize the payment of monetary obligations incurred by the Association and sign checks in the absence of the treasurer.
Section 3. The President-Elect shall
A. Assume duties of the President in the absence of the President
B. Be oriented to the responsibilities of the office of President.
C. Shall serve as Chairman of the Nominating committee.
D. Prepare the ballot for elections at the annual meeting.
E. Serve as Chairman of the Professional Development/Conference Planning Committee.
Section 4. The Secretary shall
A. Record the minutes of all meetings of the Association and the Executive Board.
B. Notify all members of meetings.
C. Conduct the correspondence of the Association as directed by the President and Executive Board.
Section 5. The Treasurer shall
A. Receive dues and all other funds of the Association, deposit such funds in the bank designated by the Executive Board, and pay all bills by check.
B. Keep an itemized account of all receipts and disbursements.
C. Give a financial report at all meetings of the Association and the Executive Board.
D. Maintain a current membership roster.
Section 6. The Regional Directors shall
A. Attend Executive committee meetings.
B. Provide information regarding activities and concerns, to and from the represented membership.
Section 7. All officers, directors, and committee chairmen shall deliver to their successor or the president, all accounts, record books, papers, or other property belonging to the Association within thirty (30) days of the expiration of their term of office.
Article VI. Duties of the Executive Board
The Executive Board shall consist of the officers and directors and shall
A. Transact the business of the Association in the interim between annual meetings. Business of the Association may be voted upon by mail or e-mail referendum, if necessary. Action taken must be affirmed at the next meeting of the Executive Board.
B. Fill vacancies in office as provided in Article IV, Section 5 of these operating policies.
C. The Professional Development/Conference Planning Committee shall be chaired by the President-Elect.
D. Prepare an annual budget for the Association.
E. Approve any expenditure of funds not provided in the budget.
F. Select a place to deposit the funds of the Association.
G. Provide for the biannual audit of the financial records of the Association in ODD years that coincides with the election of treasurer.
H. Select a representative and an alternate to serve as a representative to the following
1. VACTE Executive Board in accordance with the VACTE operating policies, Article III, Section 5, rotating even years.
3. Virginia Association of Allied Health Professions (VAAHP), rotating even years.
4. Virginia HOSA Board of Directors, rotating even years.
5. Board of Nursing Education Advisory Committee, rotating even years.
6. Virginia General Assembly Mary Marshall Scholarship Committee, rotating even years.
7. Legislative Coalition, rotating even years.
Article VII. Standing Committees
Section 1. There shall be the following standing committees of this association and each shall serve for two (2) years. The Chairman of all committees shall be appointed by the president, with the exception of the Professional Development/Conference Planning Committee. The Professional Development/Conference Planning Committee Chair shall be the President Elect, as voted on by the general membership.
A. Operating Policies/Awards
B. Critical Issues/Legislation/Resolution
E. Professional Development/Conference Planning
F. Scholarship Committee
Section 2. With the exception of the Membership/ Nominating Committee, each standing committee shall consist of three (3) or more members. The chairman will appoint the members of each committee.
Section 3. Standing committees shall have the following duties
A. Operating Policies/Awards
1) Receive and review proposed changes in these operating policies
2) Present proposed amendments to the Executive Board sixty (60) days prior to the annual meeting
3) Submit proposed amendments to the membership thirty (30) days prior to the annual meeting at which the amendments are to be considered. Mail or e-mail amendments by June 30.
4) Recognize the outgoing president of VAHAMSEA and the outstanding HOE teachers of the year (regional and state).
5) Disseminate appropriate nomination forms for the teacher of the year
6) Maintain procedures and a roster of awards recipients each year for VAHAMSEA .
7) Participate in the ACTE awards programs.
B. Critical Issues/Legislation/Resolution Committee
1) Identify critical issues affecting health occupations education and vocational education and support legislation that promotes and provides resources to improve health occupations education
2) Develop a legislative program with the approval of the executive board
3) Draft all resolutions to be considered by the general membership
4) Assume such other duties as shall be assigned by the executive board
C. Communications/Research/Publications Committee
Collect, organize information, conduct research when feasible, and present the information to the membership. Presentation may be in the form of a newsletter.
D. Membership/Nomination Committee
Plan and conduct a continuing membership campaign
Shall consist of seven (7) regional Chairpersons (one from each region) plus the Chairman (President-Elect), and shall be in accordance with Article IV, Section 3,d, of these operating policies.
1) The President-Elect shall notify each regional chairperson in January of officers to be elected by the general membership.
2) Each region at their spring meeting will nominate a candidate for the needed offices.
3) The regional Chairman/Director (may be the same person), would forward those candidate names to the President-Elect immediately following the spring meeting.
4) The President-elect shall prepare the ballot and present the candidates to the membership for voting at the annual meeting.
5) All candidates appearing on the slate shall have given verbal consent to serve, if elected, and be a member of VAHAMSEA .
E. Professional Development/Conference Planning Committee
Shall plan and present programs to implement the purpose and objectives of the VHOEA, including summer conference.
F. Scholarship Committee
1) Shall consist of a minimum of three members of the Executive Board representing at least 2 regions. One member shall also be a member of the Membership Committee.
2) The Scholarship Committee will present findings to the Executive Board who will determine awards.
3) The Scholarships will be administered according to the Faculty Scholarship Program.Article VIII. Special Committees
Special committees shall be appointed by the President as necessary. A special committee shall function until it has accomplished its purpose and made its report to the executive Board or to the membership.
Article IX. Web Master
The Web Master may or may not be a VAHAMSEA member.
The Web Master will keep the Web site www.vahamsea.org current and will include VAHAMSEA and related information as approved and provided by the VAHAMSEA President or designee.
The Web site is to include, at minimum:
Article X. Meetings and Quorum
Section 1. Annual meeting
A. The annual meeting shall be held as determined by the Executive Board.
B. A quorum for the annual meeting shall be membership representing at least three regions.
Section 2. Executive Board Meetings
A. The Executive Board shall meet at least two times a year. One meeting shall be sixty (60) days prior to the annual meeting.
B. In the event a quorum is not established, the business will be conducted by the members present with the absent members being notified by mail of said business.
Section 3. Special Meetings
A. A special meeting may be called by the president with the approval of the Executive Board and must be called upon written request to the president from ten (10) members.
B. Notice of special meeting stating the purpose of the meeting shall be sent to all members no less than ten (10) days prior to the meeting.
C. A quorum for a special meeting shall be 1/6 of the total membership and at least two (2) members of the Executive Board, one of whom must be the President or the President-Elect.
D. A special meeting of the Executive Board may be called by the President or must be called upon written request to the president from two (2) members of the Executive Board. A majority of the members of the Executive Board shall constitute a quorum for meetings.
Section 4. Program Meetings
May be held at a time and place established by the Program Committee with the approval of the Executive Board.
Article XI. Order of Business
The order of business for the annual meeting shall be:
A. Call to order
B. Establishment of a quorum
C. Reading of minutes
D. Report of the treasurer
E. Report of Executive Board action
F. Report of Committees
G. Unfinished Business
H. New Business
I. AdjournmentArticle XII. Parliamentary Authority
Robert’s Rules of Order, Current edition, shall be the parliamentary authority for this Association in all cases not provided for in these bylaws.
Section 1. These bylaws may be amended or revised at the annual meeting by a two-thirds vote of the members present provided the proposed amendments or revisions have been sent to all members thirty (30) days prior to the Annual Meeting.
Section 2. Amendments presented at the Annual meeting without the prior written notice to the membership will require a 3/4 vote of the members present for adoption.